Last Updated: Sept 15, 2019
Thank you for your interest in living at Praxis! We welcome applications from individuals who understand and agree to our mission and house expectations:
- Learn about and practice democratic self-management. We use a radical consensus model to make collective decisions about house matters (budgeting, membership, division of housework, safety, etc.) in meetings held every two weeks.
- Be open to learning new skills and sharing skills with others (bookkeeping, meeting facilitation, cooking, cleaning, gardening, etc.).
- Share housework responsibilities in order to free up time for the social justice work we are all passionate about.
- Optionally, share in communal vegan/vegetarian dinners with the rest of the house four or five nights a week.
If this sounds like something you would like to be a part of, please follow our application process below.
If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To begin the application process, please download and fill out an application:
After filling out the application, send it by email to email@example.com with a subject line of “Application – First name Last name.” Please note that we can only consider fully completed applications.
For those applying in the Chicago area:
- Fill out and submit an application.
- Based on your application, we may invite you for an interview, where we will ask you more about your background and give you a chance to learn more about us.
- After the interview, we may invite you for an overnight stay, so you can see what the house is like on a regular day.
- After the overnight stay, the house will vote on your application.
- If you are accepted, we will finalize a move-in date and begin your orientation process to welcome you to the community.
We recognize that our application process is involved. If you want to get to know us better first, you are welcome to attend a preliminary dinner to meet us and see the space.
So, the entire process looks like this:
For those applying from outside of the Chicago area:
We invite out-of-town applicants to participate in as much of the application process as possible. All applicants must download and submit an application form by email as described above. If we decide to interview you, we will do it by video call and then vote on your membership application as a house. If you are unable to complete a video interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to see if we can work something out.